Friday, August 20, 2010

Being Back in America

Since my return from Thailand a popular question has been:
“how is it being back in America?”
I have been trying to figure out my thoughts and feelings to answer that question. In many ways it almost feels like I never left. Many things are the same, exactly as I remember them. My family, for example, doesn't seem that different. We kept in contact well while I was gone, so I know what has been going on in their lives and it has been so good to see them again.
But in other ways it feels like I’ve been gone for years and some things are almost shocking. Like Wal-Mart for example. Now Wal-Mart is a very normal thing for Americans and I grew up going there almost weekly for all the little things necessary for living life. But coming back from Thailand I was overwhelmed by the size, the shininess and just the general Wal-Mart-ness of it. There are large Wal-Mart type places in Thailand but they are not as big, they have Thai people, the Thai language and Thai food in them. Wal-Mart is very different. Why do we need a whole aisle just for Shampoo and Conditioner? It took me a long time to figure out which shampoo I needed for my hair and which one was the cheapest. It was a rather overwhelming experience that nearly brought me to tears.
So how is being back in America? It is good, refreshing and exciting. But it is also hard and overwhelming at moments.

No comments: