Thursday, May 10, 2012

...oh my soul...

  I have been thinking about the human soul and it's desires lately. The soul can be a frustrating part of my person. My spirit has been given completely to Jesus.  But my soul, that is, my mind, my will, and my emotions and with those my desires, are all still in a process of sanctification, being made like Jesus. This is the part of me that longs to do good things and yet is still constantly thinking of "Me! Myself! I! What I want, what I need! ME ME ME!"
                             Yuck.

  Sometimes my soul makes me miserable. I make mistakes because I do what I want instead of what is right or  what is best for others. I have unfulfilled desires that I ache and long for. There are days when I want to make it go away. I want to always do the right thing, say the right thing and never long for things I don't have. 
But... 

...if I didn't have a soul, if I couldn't think, if I couldn't desire, if I couldn't choose, if I couldn't feel, I would be a robot or an animal, a being with no eternal significance and no RELATIONSHIPS. The human soul is a beautiful gift from our creator that we need to have fellowship with Him and others. Because we have a soul, we can LOVE.
.beautiful.

  So how do I live with this beautiful, messy, yearning, sometimes selfish, part of me? 
.Jesus.
  This week as I was struggling with my soul over a particular thought and desire, my gracious Jesus gave me this verse: 
"...He has satisfied the thirsty soul, and the hungry soul He has filled with what is GOOD." {Ps. 107:9}
Jesus will satisfy my soul with what is good...Himself. 
I also found this quote in a book I'm reading in preparation for Mozambique: 
"Though the world is so large, it is utterly unable to satisfy this tired heart. Man's ever-growing soul and its capacities can only be satisfied in the infinite God." ~Sadhu Sundar Singh
Only God in His greatness and glory can satisfy this soul. So I just keep waking up everyday and asking Jesus to satisfy the aches, the longings, and the desire. I depend on Him in desperation every day. 
Bless the Lord oh my soul!!

No comments: