Thursday, September 22, 2011

Psalm 119 again

This is a continuation from what I shared last week from Psalm 119. Reading through this chapter only one verse a day has showed me so many things I never noticed before because I always read through it so quickly. This week I read verse 75:
I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are righteous, And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.
That word "afflicted" caught my attention. And not just because it's kind of an unpleasant word. What struck me was he says "you have afflicted me". The Psalmist isn't saying God has allowed him to be afflicted, or seen that he is afflicted. He is basically blaming the Lord for his afflicted state. Yet it's not in a bitter tone because of the preface to it. He says he knows that God's judgments are righteous and it's because God is faithful that He has afflicted him. In His perfect righteousness and goodness, in His love and faithfulness, God sometimes leads us through valleys and seasons of affliction. But in those places we can be confident in the goodness of God. We can know that even though we don't see the whole picture, God does and somehow this mess fits into that. In His faithfulness He will work all things together for good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true... Psalm 23 alludes to the same thing... but He knows that it will strengthen us for the days to come...