Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Baked Oatmeal Experiment

I had baked oatmeal for the first time last fall while I was in Chicago with a friend for a conference. We were blessed by a homemade breakfast from some sweet girls and baked oatmeal was one item on the menu. Ever since then I've been on a quest to make my own! I found several recipes online but I combined and tweaked them to come up with a fairly healthy version. So here is the result...

Beat together:
1 Egg
2 Tb Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Rice Milk (you could use regular milk also, it will just be less sweet)
After those are well mixed add:
1 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats
Once that is mixed well add:
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/4 ts Nutmeg
1/2 ts Baking Powder
1/2 ts Vanilla
After all the ingredients are blended at 1/2 of a small Apple, cut into small pieces.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 Minutes

You could also leave out the Nutmeg and Apple to add blueberries or other fruits or nuts. My family also liked it with homemade applesauce on top. Oatmeal leaves a lot of room for experimenting.
A warm and yummy way to start a January morning!

No comments: