Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Faces from Mozambique...ch.3

Here is one face from Mozambique I won't forget for a while.
Every Tuesday and Friday night my dinner had a face and came with a boiled potato on the usual rice. These little guys were a welcome, salty, fried reprieve from the daily beans (&rice of course). We were also blessed with chicken once a week, cabbage, and the extra special spaghetti on Saturday nights! The popular least favorite meal was matapa...a local green plant cooked into mush and served over rice. While it's a local favorite, many of us found it quite bitter and it usually came with a healthy helping of sand and a small pebble or two as well. For some reason I failed to take a picture of my own so I found one online. Note: ours didn't look quite this nice :)

No comments: