Tuesday, September 18, 2012

train whistles

  I'm in another season of transition.
  I am sojourning in my hometown again, staying with my parents and seeking God about what is next.

  Tonight I heard the familiar sound of the train whistle. I was reminded of other times I've heard that sound late at night. In a previous season of life, it reminded me of traveling and all I wanted was to be going somewhere on a train, or a plane. Anything!
  But tonight I hear it and I don't want to go anywhere. I just got back from a crazy travel experience and the train whistle is another comforting piece of this place.
  I sound like a crazy person, sometimes I cry about staying, then I cry about going. But I guess this is what growing up looks like. You desperately want to be independent and be out there on your own, having adventures and changing the world. Then you get a taste of the hard parts of being grown up and all you want is to be 7 again, where your biggest care of the night is finding your teddy bear before you have to go to bed.
  Thankfully, I have a perfect heavenly Father that goes with me through every season, every transition and every bit of growing up. Not only is He going with me, He is leading me and preparing the way for me. When I feel alone, lost or weary of being grown up, He is there to remind me that I'm always His little girl and He is always taking care of me.

No comments: